How does one make BigDecimals contagious over doubles, instead of the
other way around, in a particular computation? I can see the reasoning
for making doubles preferred by default: once an operation combines a
double with a BigDecimal, the additional BigDecimal precision is
consumed by the magnitude of the possible error.

However, in some instances one does not need a wide mantissa but does
need more than 10 bits of exponent magnitude, and so needs
BigDecimals, and needs them to "win" when mixed with doubles. So, how
is this done? I've already checked that +' and friends aren't the
solution, and I'd prefer not to force everything to BigDecimals even
when doubles will do fine by slapping Ms and bigdecs everywhere...