On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 3:01 PM, Harrison Maseko <lis...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
> Massive Open Online Courses (MOOC) such as the ones offered by
> Udacity<http://www.udacity.com>
> , Coursera <http://www.coursera.org/>, and soon
> edX<http://www.edxonline.org>will eventually become platforms from which a
> language can be showcased and
> exposed to a very wide audience. Here are a few examples, all from
> Coursera <https://www.coursera.org/>:
>
>    - Scala:         Functional Programming Principles in
> Scala.<https://www.coursera.org/course/progfun>
>    - R:               Computing for Data
> Analysis.<https://www.coursera.org/course/compdata>
>    - Python:       An Introduction to Interactive Programming In
> Python<https://www.coursera.org/course/interactivepython>
>    .
>    - C++/Java:   Compilers <https://www.coursera.org/course/compilers>.
>    - Java:           Automata <https://www.coursera.org/course/automata>.
>
> Udacity has used Python and/or Javascript in some, if not most, of their
> recent courses. What do you think, will there ever be a chance for a
> Clojure/ClojureScript-based course to be offered on one of these platforms?
> What can the community do to create such a chance? Or is this perhaps not
> important at all?
> Thanks,
> -h.

Coursera only provides courses backed by established  universities, so it
may rule out community-based offerings. Udacity's case is different but the
offering is more focused and very Python oriented. IMO, Udacity with its
online Python editor and overall delivery style would be a better match for
a clojure/clojurescript REPL approach. I have no idea how to get in touch
with Dr Thrun et al about this, my only experience so far is with taking
classes with both Udacity and Coursera.