Hi Eric,

I can't offer any advice on resolving this particular incompatibility, but
I would say that Java logging config difficulties are frustratingly common
in my experience.

If the opportunity ever arises, I'd suggest you take a look at Timbre as an
alternative: https://github.com/ptaoussanis/timbre

It's an all-Clojure logging lib I'm working on that's particularly easy to
configure and that doesn't interfere with or depend on any of the Java
logging nonsense.

May or may not be a fit for what you need, but it might be worth taking a
look.

Best of luck!

- Peter Taoussanis (@ptaoussanis)