How about drawing all the rectangles with
.fillRect()<http://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/api/java/awt/Graphics.html#fillRect%28int,%20int,%20int,%20int%29>and
 before each call alternate between black and white by calling
.setColor()<http://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/api/java/awt/Graphics.html#setColor%28java.awt.Color%29>.

You can alternate between the colours by taking the first of the following
seq every time you set the color:

(cycle [java.awt.Color.black java.awt.Color.white])

Stathis