Hi,

For a java course at my university students had to write a railway
simulator - the idea was more or less to write randomly generate a map with
railways and regular roads. Some of the tracks where double (i.e. trains
can go both directions at the same time) and the other just a single track
(one train, one direction at a time). In the the single tracks there were
special bays for trains to wait while a train in the opposite direction is
running. There were passenger trains and cargo trains, but the former had a
priority over the latter (when single tracks were considered). There were
cars on the regular roads (all bidirectional and running at the same
speed), the only challenge for cars was to stop when a road crossed a
railway and there was a train running on that railway. The idea was of
course not cause any collision. The graphics had to pretty simple, i.e. 2d
bird perspective, rectangles representing trains and squares representing
cars.

Of course this was quite a big end-of-semester assignment. Maybe it will
give you some ideas.

Thanks,
Igor