+1

i stay functional if possible and fall back to mutable on isolated,
performance critical spots if i can't get it done fast enough in a
purely functional way.

i solved the move-mess-up-everything problem by forcing a move to
implement both apply and unapply on a game board. (it was a java
project). this way, i could still safely try a move and undo it in
secret - and i could still  use multithreading by making one copy of a
board per thread.

however, depending on the game, the single thread version was up to 10x
faster because of being able to cut off large portions of the tree while
the multithread version had less information per branch and could not
simply share it while travering the tree of possibilities.