On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 6:01 PM, Rich Hickey <richhic...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've started to document a subset of Clojure's data format in an effort to
> get it more widely used as a data exchange format, e.g. as an alternative to
> JSON.
>
> Please have a look:
> https://github.com/richhickey/edn

The current specification has two problems that have bitten us on
other projects (and with other formats): it has no specified encoding
for strings, and it has no native mechanism for binary data.  It would
be awesome if you could consider both in the format.

Strings without encoding are an interoperability headache, even if
they allow binary data - someone will forget to tag the data, or will
just throw whatever random 8-bit encoding in, and problems arise.

Strings with a specific encoding (like JSON and UTF-8) are great, but
they can't carry binary, so something specific is needed - and
hopefully something better than "base64 into the string".

--
Daniel Pittman
♲ Made with 100 percent post-consumer electrons