I understand your frustration.

But it is important to note that timeliness and feedback are a two-way street.
There was a time when changes to Clojure were tried immediately by users, and
I'd know within hours if not minutes if I'd introduced something that caused
problems for someone. That matters as much to me now as it did then. But now it
can be months or, as in this case, years before someone issues a complaint.
That's quite frustrating as well.

It is equally important that we continue to presume the best of one another.
I've had to reconcile myself to the fact that Clojure users are busy using
Clojure, and primarily from release artifacts. They have less time to spend
evaluating the latest code. I, too, am busy using Clojure, something that is
quite good for Clojure, even though it may give me less time for participating
in the threads.

Rest assured that the threads are being seen and considered. If you've had
someone from core chime in on a thread (as Stu did, the day after your first
post), then it's been seen. He and I have spoken about it several times. That
doesn't mean it's become an action item, even if there's a long thread (long
threads can mean little more than everyone has an opinion), or that the
majority seems to agree (people happy with how things are are least motivated
to chime in). The fact is, this was very old code, and if someone was catching
fire because of it, presumably it would have come up already.

That said, I am very interested in the idea of getting more leverage out of the
JIRA voting system. As the volume on the lists and in JIRA etc continues to
grow (as it does), triage becomes critical, and more difficult. Any effort to
organize and prioritize the work and opinions of the community is much
appreciated (thanks Andy, et al). Voting can be a self-serve, self-tuning
option. I've already made a JIRA view that orders tickets by votes. It will be
essential though, that people be limited (or, more likely, limit themselves) to
e.g. 3 active votes (i.e. on open tickets) at a time, else it's not triage,
it's just a venting exercise :)

The simple fact is that people's desire to work with a stable Clojure, and to
continue to produce a solid one, coupled with a growing community, means that
things will take longer, and not everything can be personally addressed.

Rich