I don't understand how is this expression evaluated to get the shown result

(apply map list (partition 2 [ 1 2 3 4 5 ])) => ((1 3) (2 4))

removing the apply I got this:

(map list (partition 2 [ 1 2 3 4 5 ])) => (((1 2)) ((3 4)))

how is the apply changing the result? I'm not able to see the reasoning
behind this code. Can someone help me with this?

Thanks,
Erlis