On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 9:40 AM, Matt Campbell <mattcampb...@pobox.com> wrote:
> When run in advanced mode, the Google Closure Compiler tries to eliminate
> dead code. This currently doesn't seem to be very effective for
> ClojureScript. A minimal hello-world example currently compiles to 90 KB in
> advanced mode. Is this the best that can be done? Is Clojure's dynamism an
> insurmountable obstacle at this point? Or does this area just need more
> work?
>
> Matt

Avoid making any assumptions about what advanced compilation can do
based on trivial ClojureScript programs. I've heard of several large
ClojureScript programs that generate 1.2-1.8 *megabytes* of
JavaScript. After advanced compilation and gzipping the applications
are around 40k-50k (http://blog.mezeske.com/?p=552). This is pretty
impressive given that jQuery, which is pretty standard these days,
itself is 32k gzipped.

But yes, we can do better and there are some things in ClojureScript
that seem to prevent some dead code from being eliminated in small
programs. There's an open issue for that though no one has tackled it
yet. Note the dead code issue doesn't have much to do with dynamism -
rather issues with the generated JS such that Closure doesn't seem to
want to remove some unused code.

David