On 18/09/12 17:28, Aaron Cohen wrote:
What did you use to compile this? I don't believe hyphens are legal in
Java package names.

I used regular

*javac -cp blah:blah:blah  encog-java/customGA/*.java*

the compiler did not complain because the actual package declaration uses underscore instead of hyphen. yes hyphens are indeed illegal... that is, you cannot write "package foo-bar;" but you can write "package foo_bar;" when in fact being in the "foo-bar" folder.

It will be hard to use this in clojure, clojure converts hyphens to
underscores automatically behind the scenes in package names. But your
package actually has a (possibly invalid) hyphen in it's name, so the
mangling prevents your class from being found.

exactly!!! when I ask from clojure (:import [encog-java.customGA aClass]) clojure should convert the hyphen to match the actual package found in the declaration of class files. UNderscores are certainly legal characters...the thing is, it doesn't matter whether i use an underscore or not when importing - I always get the same error which makes me slightly suspicious...

In my desperation, I went into my ~/.m2 directory and actually modified the jar by hand so the folder "encog-java" was renamed to "encog_java" but again the same story! I don't get it!!!

Jim