On 13/10/12 12:50, Tassilo Horn wrote:
pmap might not be as perfect for you use-case as you think.  Because it
is lazy and chunked, it won't keep you cores busy.  Some time ago, there
was a detailed thread about this on this list.

But it does keep my cores fully busy (99-100%) for the first 40 min roughly...IT is only after that that things go downhill... garbage collection issues sound more plausible to me...I'm about to try the new G1 collector and also since I'm doing string processing I'll try "-XX:+OptimizeStringConcat" and potentially "-XX:+UseCompressedStrings" (as long as the speed penalty is not that big)...

Jim