On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 12:27 PM, Herwig Hochleitner <hhochleit...@gmail.com
> wrote:

> 2012/10/16 David Nolen <dnolen.li...@gmail.com>
>

>> I'm aware of this one as well. But again I think we can and should do a
>> quick fix in the compiler for this. Either the user used multimethods or
>> they did not.
>>

> I don't see how such a quick fix could be done, without the compiler
> gaining a concept of "the whole program", in which the user could have used
> MMs.
> In my understanding, the compiler, as it is right now, is fundamentally
> form-at-a-time, so at the point the global-hierarchy var already gets
> emitted, you can't possibly know if it will be used.
> Certainly, you are much more familiar with the implementation, do you see
> a point where this could already be hacked in?

ClojureScript programmers benefit from the assumption of whole program
optimization for production code. Also remember we have analyze-file.

If these weren't true ClojureScript would not be anywhere near as fast as
it currently is. Look at all the assumptions we can make when we compile a
fn invocation form under advanced compilation.

David