Curtis:

You can do this if you want:

(def car first)
(def cdr rest)

but most people accustomed to Clojure would be much more familiar with first
and rest.  The Content of the Address and Data Registers haven't been
applicable for a long time, but it wasn't only the names that are changed --
first and rest work on all kinds of data structures besides lists, and return
implementations of a sequence abstraction, not necessarily pointers to cons
cells.

Andy