I don't yet understand how laziness helps. Can anyone point me to a
reference? I have vague memory that one of the videos addresses this (I
remember something about "these are not iterators"), but I'm having trouble
finding it now.

I'm finding that lazy seqs are too slow for everything, so I expect I'm
using them incorrectly. Many of the core functions return seqs, and I
invariably end up wrapping them with (vec ...) to get any kind of
reasonable performance. Is that what I should be doing?

Is a lazy seq mostly about algorithmic clarity, and avoiding unnecessary
computation? So far I haven't run into any cases where I wouldn't realize
the entire sequence, and it's always faster to do it up-front.