I thought 'definline' addresses exactly that...cases where one might want to pull out small pieces of first class functionality without sacrificing performance and without macros (which are not first-class)...am I mistaken?

Jim

ps: the only similarly big function that I've ever written (still smaller than this one) was for a GUI of mine and basically the Java interop caused it to be that big - it's not doing anything complicated like this one. I could not maintain such a function like the one shown here....