Basically, any time you're part way through implementing some feature and
you realize you need to carry along extra data with something, but you
don't want to change the data you return, use metadata.

For example, I was working with creating a rule system that needed to
convert certain Clojure hash maps to java beans.  However, rather than
include a :class attribute in the hash map (which would mess with the
semantics of the system I made), I just included the class in metadata.