CLJ-1100 "Reader literals cannot contain periods" has a patch that will allow
tags to have periods. It does not address the issue of allowing a space after
the record type for record literals.

My patch for CLJ-1100 would also allow *default-readers* to override a
defrecord definition.  That's   wasn't explicitly the intention, but it fell
out of the implementation.  If people don't like letting *default-readers*
dominate records, please comment in the bug.  I think it's acceptable in order
to support the desired periods in tags, but it might be good to have some other
people take a look.

Regarding the original issue for this thread, it's interesting to note that the
code for the record reader has a commented out section that would have allowed
whitespace for the record literals.  See LispReader.java, readRecord.

https://github.com/clojure/clojure/commit/21175bc95d5f64e8142cb368e39ccd171debc56a