I'm not convinced about allowing wildcard imports. Same reason that we
discourage use without :only for.

About discoverability: I'd take a look at the autocompletion code for
swank-clojure, lein repl, et. al.
Maybe there is a contrib in there?

About your static/dynamic remark: In static langs there is a clear
distinction between the compile class path and runtime class path. That
way, you can't introduce new names by running with an upgraded library. So
while wildcard imports are still suboptimal, they are not as volatile as in
most dynamic langs. You can protect against that in clojure too by AOT
compiling.

That said, package imports with :as clauses, as in your example, wouldn't
even pose this problem.
With (import '[com.package :as pkg]), Symbols using the pkg namespace alias
could be resolved to their classes without walking the classpath.

That feature might actually be quite nice. I like how one can do that in
clojurescript.

kind regards