Encoding Keywords as Strings is a performance optimization in clojurescript.
js/String is in fact extended to IFn to make it work
https://github.com/clojure/clojurescript/blob/master/src/cljs/cljs/core.cljs#L1795

I don't think it is an immutable design choice, but a replacement with
interned Keyword objects would need to stand up against the current
solution, performance wise.
My feeling is that this could be tackled as soon as we have a stategy for
whole program optimization, so that we could intern keywords at compile
time.