There is an easy solution to your problem...Just hange the fn definition slightly. For example I am regularly using this:

(defn un-capitalize [^String s]
(let [Cfirst (subs s 0 1)
Crest (subs s 1) ]
(str (.toLowerCase Cfirst) Crest)))

It is pretty obvious what you need to do to convert the above to "capitalize" which only capitalises the 1st charater...

I agree that with regards to 'least astonishment' the core fn should capitalize all characters. This is what I'd expect from a fn called 'capitalize'.

Jim