I've written a large application that uses this approach. You can see it
applied with protocols and multimethods in types.clj and protocols.clj, and
the remainder of the code in types/*.clj. I used this to manage over 10
different extensions, and it's been simple enough to keep organized.

I have used a few techniques to tie together all the disparate files. I
have an approach for vars/fn from other namespaces, even if they're
dynamic, and organization/readability in the face of a large API.

You can find that
here: https://github.com/dgrnbrg/piplin/tree/master/src/piplin