On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 12:55 AM, Paul Butcher <p...@paulbutcher.com> wrote:
> On 14 Dec 2012, at 00:30, kovas boguta <kovas.bog...@gmail.com> wrote:

> If you can't incorporate novelty without cloning the
> entire datastructure, thats not that useful.
>

> I'm not 100% sure what you mean by this - can you expand?

The principle failing of locks is they don't compose. The principle
failing of objects w.r.t. concurrency is that locking recipes don't
compose.

Being able to do concurrent operations on composite objects is a big
win for clojure. Very often we want concurrent operations on something
that isn't just a simple number, but a map, array, or some more
complex nested structure.

Values ensure correctness, but the performance would be terrible if
every time you changed 1 element in the array, we had to create a new
array. Persistent datastructures allow for structural sharing, thus
giving you correctness and good performance. Without that, you could
never build an database as a value for example.

Recommend the value of values, the database as a value, and any early
clojure talk.

Also this thread
https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en&fromgroups#!topic/clojure/XHqWLMcsH-c

mentions the same themes. It's interesting because Rich makes multiple
comparisons between clojure's concurrency model and database systems.