Colin Yates writes:

> So my questions:
>  - is there a decent project explorer.  I really miss the "tree on the
> left, editor on the right" layout

Personally I believe this is an antipattern; IMO you should only see the
file structure it is relevant rather than the speedbar style of having
it always visible. For navigating larger projects I wrote
find-file-in-project for this:

    https://github.com/technomancy/find-file-in-project

You can install it from Marmalade. If it's a project you're less
familiar with you can enable full project-relative paths rather than
having it simply show you enough to ensure it's unambiguous:

    (setq ffip-full-paths t)

Of course the best solution is simply not to work on large projects and
break your codebase up into manageable units where you can keep the
project structure in your head, but I understand this isn't always
within your control.

>  - other than paredit, nrepl and clojure-mode (and the excellent
> coffee-mode for coffeescript), what other plugins should I install

You're missing out if you're using git without Magit.

There's a screencast here that covers the highlights:
http://vimeo.com/2871241 It's a bit old but most of it still applies.
Every time I have to use git without Magit I am reminded of how spoiled
I am; command-line git feels like banging rocks together after using a
flamethrower.

I'm a big fan of using ERC to connect to the #clojure and #emacs
channels on Freenode too; erc-hl-nicks makes that much more pleasant:

    https://github.com/leathekd/erc-hl-nicks

-Phil