Hello Jay,

I'd like to learn a little bit more from what makes you prefer emacs
over IntelliJ.
As the main developer of Counterclockwise, I'm I could learn some
ideas, if not lessons, from your experience.

Some questions and remarks inline:

2013/1/28 Jay Fields <j...@jayfields.com>:
> I used IntelliJ for clojure dev for almost 3 years. About six months ago I
> finally took the time to learn emacs, and I strongly regret not doing it
> much earlier. There are too many reasons to list, but it all comes down to a
> simple question for me: do you want the ability to easily automate tasks
> that you often repeat?

Is this really the core of your concerns? Are you talking about the
ability for you to write new elisp scripts, or to benefit from a bunch
of existing elisp scripts from the emacs community? Is this mostly
related to the fact that Clojure support in IntelliJ is lacking in key
areas? Or is it really the liberty that comes with emacs lisp that you
value overall? (And is it overrated, or not ?)

> IntelliJ is great at automating some things (e.g. Import namespace), but if
> you want to extend its functionality it's a significant task. Conversely, I
> now open my projects with a keystroke,

Can you describe this "open my projects with a keystroke" feature to me?

> start my app with a keystroke

same question. Is it mostly (only?) leiningen apps with a repl ?

> and have the ability to eval any snippet of clojure in the context of my app.

> I also automated running tests, creating tests that do not exist, and
> navigating to tests.

Can you point me to the emacs lisp which does this ? I would be
interested in studying a little bit what kind of API it provides to
you, the user (without digging into tons of reference material: a
concrete example like you automating running tests would be great to
look at)

Thanks,

--
Laurent