ah, compare

> (if-let [{errors :email} (function-returning-error email password)]
>    true
>    false)

with

(let [{errors :email) (function-returning-errros email password)]
    (if errors
        true
        false))

I'm not saying that if-let is wrong, I'm saying I would never use in such a
case (i.e. restructuring), because it led me think wrong.

mimmo

On Jan 30, 2013, at 10:23 AM, Mimmo Cosenza <mimmo.cose...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Uhm, I do not agree.
>
> Suppose tha you have a function returning a map of errors (a valip validator
> lib real case) like the following
>
> {:email ["Email can't be empty"] :password ["Password can't be empty"]}
>
> If I want to select just the email errors I would write something like that
>
> (if-let [{errors :email} (function-returning-error email password)]
>    true
>    false)
>
> Reading the above code you're led to believe that if there are email errors,
> errors local binding will be true. Instead, it returns true even if the are
> no email errors but there are password errors and you never get the false
> branch.
>
> An if you want to catch password errors you would write something like
>
> (if-let [{errors :password} (function-returning-errors email password)]
>    true
>    false)
>
> In either case you never get the false branch when function-returning-errors
> return an error which is not the one you're looking for
>
> Mimmo
>

> On Jan 30, 2013, at 10:05 AM, James Xu <xumingming64398...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> From the expansion we can see that if-let determine the result based on
>> the second param, in your case: {:key2 "a string"}, not the local binding
>> you assumed(key1), and
>> I think it is reasonable, for example, if we have the following code:
>>
>> (if-let [{key1 key2} {:key2 "a string"}]
>>  true
>>  false))
>>

>> Should if-let determine the result based on key1? key2? IMO {key1 key2} in
>> a whole is more reaonable. And {key1 key2} == {:key2 "a string"}, then the
>> result is true.
>>

>> On 13-1-30 下午4:51, "Mimmo Cosenza" <mimmo.cose...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>> I'm a little bit confused about the semantic of if-let macro.
>>>
>>> Suppose to call it as follows with map destructoring:
>>>
>>> (if-let [{key1 :key1} {:key2 "a string"}]
>>> true
>>> false))
>>>
>>> It returns true.
>>>
>>> But,
>>>
>>> (let [{key1 :key1} {:key2 "a string"}]
>>> (if key1
>>>     true
>>>     false))
>>>
>>> returns false.
>>>

>>> The macro expansion of the former explains why
>>>
>>> (macroexpand-1 '(if-let [{key1 :key1} {:key2 "a string"}] true false))
>>>
>>> returns
>>> (clojure.core/let [temp__3971__auto__ {:key2 "a string"}] (if