On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 6:56 PM, Jules <julesjac...@gmail.com> wrote:
> vemv, here is a file describing my Clojure install experience:
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/ln2ek5f5n47qnl1/clojureinstall.odp
>
> How should I continue? And where would a beginner find that information?

The problem is the Clojure world, for the most part, is all Mac and
Linux - Windows is very much a second class citizen that very few
Clojurians use at all. I surveyed the Bay Area Clojure Meetup members.
53 responded. Just 3 of them said they used Windows. Go to a Clojure
conference and it'll be mostly Macs and almost all of the rest will be
running Linux.

That means all the tools, all the instructions, all the thinking, is
focused on the command line and comes from a world where developers
know that installed software has to go on your path, which usually
means editing a dot file in your home directory, updating the PATH
variable and sourcing the dot file to pick up the changes. It also
means that the primary Clojure website is aimed at those kind of
developers and, more specifically, aimed at experienced developers on
those platforms who can pick thru the minimalist information and
variety of links scattered everywhere. The fact is: clojure.org is NOT
beginner friendly :(

Leiningen - the primary build tool - is a shell script. Clojure is a
library - a JAR file - and using Clojure relies (under the hood) on a
local Maven repository and then declaring and fetching dependencies
from various known repositories. Leiningen makes all that much simpler
than the raw tools. But it doesn't make it as simple as most Windows
users expect.

Having set up a dozen or so Clojure development environments on a
variety of Mac, Linux and Windows, here's what I recommend for
Windows:

* Start with GOW - Gnu on Windows - so that you have the basic Linux
toolset that is so familiar to most Clojurians:
https://github.com/bmatzelle/gow/downloads
* It installs curl and wget (and a bunch of other very useful stuff)
and adds it to your path directly! Read more here:
https://github.com/bmatzelle/gow/wiki
* Download the Leiningen Windows batch file. I put mine in C:\LEIN and
then added C:\LEIN to my Path environment variable (in the system
environment variables)
* Start a new cmd shell window (or Powershell if you're that way
inclined) and type: lein self-install

At least at this point you can create new Clojure projects, edit
project.clj with your favorite editor to add dependencies, and use
lein repl in a cmd shell to experiment with those libraries.

As others have said, try Clooj if you really have no idea about the
command line or the Java ecosystem. Try LightTable once you've
installed Leiningen and created a project to play with.

If you're a Java developer on Windows, you're probably using Eclipse
or IntelliJ so install the Clojure plugin and use that.

If you're brave, try Emacs - that's what most Clojurians use and it
really does have the most integrated overall workflow, especially with
a built-in shell, IRC client and various other goodies.
--
Sean A Corfield -- (904) 302-SEAN

"Perfection is the enemy of the good."