I tried this and it works, but I need 2 backticks and I'm essentially generating the assert-form when the macro is called...I'd like to generate only the def-form at run-time...

(defmacro defcomponent [name co]
`(assert (component? ~co) "Not a valid IComponent")
  `(def ~name ~co))

it looks ugly doesn't it?

Jim