>From my (admittedly limited) experience with Scala, yes, you can freely use
reassignable local vars and write pretty much the same loops as in Java,
but on the other hand there are many non-obvious performance pitfalls (like
simply using the built-in *for comprehension*) and the optimized library
code is a heavy mess. With Clojure, you open core.clj and stand a good
chance of learning something; with Scala, you just stare in total confusion.

I'd be curious to hear some opinions on this from the Scala community.  I