So I understand that Clojure's data structures are immutable but I am not
clear how that works with MVC.

So I have a view that displays a model. Other processes change that model
and the View presents those changes.

However it's not clear to me how that would work with an immutable model.

Obviously I can't pass the model into the View, have the view store a
reference to it and each time it's called on to render the model, do so.
The model is immutable.

So I could have a global variable which points to the model, and whenever I
'change' the model I re-point it to the updated version. Obviously the view
would have to reference that global. This just smells bad. And would get
worse for each model and view you needed in your application.

I suppose you could maintain some global map of models, but that doesn't
look nice either, it's not that much different from having a pile of global
models.

This must be a solved problem surely? Could someone point me to the
solution please? Swing or Quil based would be fine but I assume it must be
generally applicable.