Thanks all. I don't think this can be just a concurrency issue or I would
also see it when I'm not using Timbre. If I call pprint from multiple
threads I don't get this kind of interleaving of individual characters. Nor
do I normally get this interleaving when just using Timbre. But somehow the
combination of thread-measuring functions and Timbre set off some
fireworks.

Maybe I'll dig into this when I have more time. For now I've switched to
simple println (rather than Timbre) statements for the thread-measuring
stuff.