>     Python has a notation for "raw strings"

Python also has multiple inheritance :) what I want to mean is that some
features have dubious value, regardless of whether they made it to language
X or Y.

    I'm working on a project right now where the lack of raw strings is
> killing me.

Do you absolutely need to interleave code and data? Can't you e.g. store
the strings in separate files, and keep references to those strings in your
code (i18n style)?.

There's also the possibility of using selector-based transformations, a la
Enlive.

    Given the new work on edn and clojure.tools.reader, I'm hoping that the
> reader technology is now at a point where adding raw strings would be a
> trivial endeavor, thus tipping the value:complexity ratio of adding raw
> strings in favor of doing it.

Reading a raw string stored in a file is already trivial :)

    One of Clojure's value propositions is that it is good for making DSLs.

I don't remember a statement like that from the clojure.org texts or Rich's
talks. Admittedly, Paul Graham's essays (which are all about DSLs) brought
me (and many) to the Clojure world but it's easy to perceive that those
values aren't *particularly* promoted by the language's design or Rich's
discourse.

    The reality is that Clojure is mostly only good for writing DSLs that
> use Clojure's syntax.

I belive that data is the ultimate DSL anyway - it allows one to express
arbitrarily specific information in an extensible way. Interleaving code
and data (as some languages' DSL facilities foster) is inherently complex
(and limited).

    Sometimes a string-based DSL is exactly what you need to achieve the
> desired clarity.

Nothing stops you from using/writing a parser for an alternative/custom
syntax. Just don't mix that DSL with Clojure (in the same way that one
doesn't mix server code, HTML, JS, SQL, all in the same files).