I gave the code another look and remembered that *slurp* can actually
handle a bunch of types as input, so I just passed the *InputStream *from
the connection and got the same results. Additionaly in the code I posted
before, the *get-response* function was never closing the stream, which *
slurp* does.

(ns google-search
  (:import [java.net URL URLEncoder]))
 (def google-search-url "http://www.google.com/search?q=";)
(def user-agent "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.22 (KHTML,
like Gecko) Chrome/25.0.1364.172")
 (defn open-connection [url]
  (doto (.openConnection url)
        (.setRequestProperty "User-Agent" user-agent)))
 (defn get-response [url]
  (let [conn (open-connection url)
        sb   (StringBuilder.)]
    (slurp (.getInputStream conn))))
 (defn search [query]
  (let [url (java.net.URL. (str google-search-url (URLEncoder/encode query)))]
    (get-response url)))
    (spit "response.html" (search "clojure google"))