On Sunday, March 24, 2013 10:24:39 PM UTC-5, Rich Morin wrote:

> On Mar 24, 2013, at 18:44, Cedric Greevey wrote:
> > Where are these costs coming from? ...
>
> To get professional results, you need more than a camera
> on a tripod.  For example, someone has to:
>
>   *  keep the camera on the speaker
>   *  get clean copies of the slides
>   *  merge the slides with the video
>   *  create assorted web pages, etc.
>   *  ...
>
> Outfits like InfoQ and Confreaks do a very good job, but
> they use professional staff (who expect to be paid).  I'm
> delighted that these folks provide high-quality recordings
> of talks, at no cost or inconvenience to me.  It allows me
> to "virtually" attend conferences all over the world.  +1!
>
> It's also wonderful to have a local meeting recorded by a
> volunteer, but I _really_ don't want this to be the way our
> conferences are recorded.  I can wait a bit for the editing;
> clean results are more important than saving a month or so.
>
> That said, there may be a way to release "raw" (Beta?) videos
> faster, assuming the stakeholders (eg, presenter, conference,
> recording firm) are OK with this.  Alternatively, perhaps a
> way can be found to let volunteers make recordings.

None of the stakeholders are ok with this. The whole point of doing decent
videos is to do decent videos.

In theory, having volunteers make recordings could work. Certainly
conferences like Pycon, Drupalcon, and others do such things. It's a large
amount of work to manage and there is a lot of room for something to go
wrong and miss a talk or yield uneven results. I'd rather pay professionals
to do it right. I also don't have the time to manage that aspect.