Just read about this in "Clojure Programming" (Emerick) p428:
 clojure.lang.BigInt is different than java.lang.BigInteger, in that BigInt
uses 64-bit primitive longs under the covers to keep performance up if the
value will fit within the range of a long.  So for "normal" sized values,
it doesn't have the overhead of the arbitrary-precision type.  But, the
extra precision is there if you need it later on in a calculation.
Alan Thompson