You might be interested in
https://github.com/amalloy/clusp/blob/master/src/snusp/core.clj, my Clojure
interpreter for SNUSP (which is brainfuck with different control-flow
mechanics). It's purely functional, and IMO does a good job of separating
concerns; both of those are things it sounds like you were having trouble
with, so hopefully reading it will give you some ideas. Basically my
approach is to have an object (hash-map) that represents the state of the
interpreter (the "world"), and "compile" each instruction to a function
before doing anything. Then, I just look up the instruction at the current
position, call it on the world, and use the returned world for the next
step.