Hi,

I'm new to Clojure and trying to write a multiplayer poker web app.  I'm
looking for advice early on regarding state management.

I'm using aleph and compojure for the communications with actions from
players coming in through compojure on different threads of the netty
server.
When a message arrives I check which rooms it corresponds based on the url
then update that rooms game state.

I could store all state in (def rooms (atom {})) with the keys being the
room name and each room containing users and the game state but this would
require that I deref & swap! for every change to the state in any room
which would seem to be a bottleneck.

Timers are also needed to fold a player if they don't move in time.

How would you do this?  All thoughts welcome and appreciated

Thanks

James