Changing 3) to also import the record class:

    (ns defrecordissue.aot1
      (:require [defrecordissue.aprotocol]
                [defrecordissue.arecord])
      (:import [defrecordissue.arecord ARecord]))

makes no difference. Compilation still fails with the same exception.

This is obviously a contrived example. When I encountered this in the
wild, the consumer of the equivalent of the defrecord.aprotocol
namespace did not construct a record instance directly. It has no
awareness of the record type, and should not need to have so.