"guv" is broken if your let form introduces bindings that depend on earlier
bindings:

user=> (plet [a 2 b a] b)
CompilerException java.lang.RuntimeException: Unable to resolve symbol: a
in this context, compiling:(NO_SOURCE_PATH:1)

user=> (clojure.pprint/pprint (macroexpand-1 '(plet [a 2 b a] b)))
(clojure.core/let
 [G__364
  (clojure.core/future 2)
  G__365
  (clojure.core/future a)   ;;; oops!
  @G__364
  @G__365]
 b)
nil
user=>

In fact, both of them are broken in this way.

On Sat, Apr 27, 2013 at 6:55 AM, Glen Mailer <glenja...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I was recently looking at how to make better use of parallelisation for
> simple tasks in my compojure app, I had a construction similar to the
> following:
>
> (views/some-view (api/api-call-1) (api/api-call-2) (api/api-call-3))
>
> It seemed that the easiest way to introduce some parallelism here would be
> in the style of a let form:
>
> (let [result-1 (api/api-call-1)
>       result-2 (api/api-call-2)
>       result-3 (api/api-call-3)]
>   (views/some-view result-1 result-2 result-3)
>
> There doesn't appear to be anything in core that does, this - after a
> brief discussion in the IRC channel, I received the following two
> suggestions: https://gist.github.com/jcromartie/5459350 and
> https://gist.github.com/guv/5459364
>
> I ended up going with the approach from "guv", as I understood it better -
> and I moved the let form inside the view function to cut down on the
> repetition a bit.
>
> Now, to my actual questions:
>
> What are the differences between the pmap approach and the futures
> approach?
>
> And would a construction like this be useful in core? If so, how does it
> potentially get there?
>

> Thanks
> Glen Mailer
> Budding Clojurer
>

>  --

Ben Wolfson
"Human kind has used its intelligence to vary the flavour of drinks, which
may be sweet, aromatic, fermented or spirit-based. ... Family and social
life also offer numerous other occasions to consume drinks for pleasure."
[Larousse, "Drink" entry]