Hello everyone.

In the aftermath of the recent Linode intrusion[1][2], we determined
that Clojars' policy of allowing artifacts to be overwritten[3] makes it
much more difficult to detect an attack than it would be if artifacts
were immutable like they are in most other repositories.

While overwriting with redeploys has been known to cause all kinds of
issues around local cached repositories, there have typically been three
reasons for doing so anyway:

0) Replacing accidental deploys containing errors (missing file, typo, etc).
   This is essentially analogous to the argument for force-pushing in
   git; it saves you a bit of embarrassment but really isn't worth
   sacrificing the predictability of the repository in any case. Just
   cringe, push out your fixed version, and hope no one laughs at you
   when they're looking through the history.

1) Removing sensitive data which was deployed by accident.
   We've implemented a system of removal based on GitHub issues and a
   cont...@clojars.org address that should be used for this
   instead. Sometimes removal takes a while, but if you make it clear in
   your request that sensitive data is involved we can ensure it's
   deleted quickly.

2) Signing an already-deployed older version.
   This was the one thing that kept us from enforcing this earlier, but
   upon reviewing the situation there are various reasons this isn't
   desirable. We'd rather just force a minor version bump for
   freshly-signed artifacts. Some discussion of the rationale there can
   be found on the clojars-maintainers mailing list if you're interested
   in the background[4].

I've just deployed this change out. Happy to discuss either here or in
the #leiningen channel on Freenode. Hopefully this will have minimal
impact on users, but I felt it was important to mention.

-Phil

[0] - https://groups.google.com/group/clojure/msg/3bec929634bfbe12
[1] - http://straylig.ht/zines/HTP5/0x02_Linode.txt
[2] - Technically this has never been an explicitly documented policy, just
      an undocumented feature.
[3] -
https://groups.google.com/group/clojars-maintainers/browse_thread/thread/cb9cfc9a366470d7