Apologies, forgot that this is not a forum.

1) What would environment trimming provide me? Because right now I am using
core.logic quite naively,
mostly just applying recursion and some pattern matching.

2) for starting I have implemented a simple regular grammar engine,
   seems to work :)

(def rules [
            ['N ['A "a"]]
            ['A ['A "a"]]
            ['A ["a"]]
            ])

(defn re-matcho [current rules string]
  (fresh [deriving remaining fst rst]
        (membero [current deriving] rules)
        (conso fst rst deriving)
        (conde
           [(== deriving string) (project [fst] (== true (not (symbol?
fst))))]
           [(appendo remaining rst string) (re-matcho fst rules
remaining)])))

=> (run 3 [q]
#_=>   (re-matcho 'N rules q))
=> (run 3 [q]