Thanks Tassilo,
  As you point out, if I move the nested function outside the go then the
problem is fixed.
This test case is only a simplification of the original code so I can't do
this in my actual code however after much head scratching I now understand
the purpose of take! and it addresses my issue:

test case solution:

> (defn tdw2 [id t]
>   (let [id2 (go (<! (td id 500)))
>         c (chan)]
>         (window/setTimeout (fn [] (go (>! c (<! id2)))) t)
>         ))

Required solution: