It failed for me on Mac OS X 10.8.4 - this has also been a problem on
Windows for me (which doesn't have curl / wget anyway). Can we please
get the Leiningen JAR posted somewhere that is not prone to this sort
of SSL problem?

(! 536)-> lein upgrade
The script at /Developer/workspace/worldsingles/build/bin/lein2 will
be upgraded to the latest stable version.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y

Upgrading...
  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
100   126  100   126    0     0    261      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:--   336
100 11353  100 11353    0     0  11459      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:--  101k

Manual self-install is deprecated; it will run automatically when necessary.
Downloading Leiningen to
/Users/sean/.lein/self-installs/leiningen-2.3.0-standalone.jar now...
  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
  0     0    0     0    0     0      0      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:--     0
curl: (22) The requested URL returned error: 403
Failed to download
https://leiningen.s3.amazonaws.com/downloads/leiningen-2.3.0-standalone.jar
It's possible your HTTP client's certificate store does not have the
correct certificate authority needed. This is often caused by an
out-of-date version of libssl. Either upgrade it or set HTTP_CLIENT
to turn off certificate checks:
  export HTTP_CLIENT="wget --no-check-certificate -O" # or
  export HTTP_CLIENT="curl --insecure -f -L -o"
It's also possible that you're behind a firewall haven't yet
set HTTP_PROXY and HTTPS_PROXY.

Thu Aug 08 21:10:48
(sean)-(jobs:0)-(/Developer/workspace/worldsingles)
(! 537)-> HTTP_CLIENT="curl --insecure -f -L -o" lein upgrade
Downloading Leiningen to
/Users/sean/.lein/self-installs/leiningen-2.3.0-standalone.jar now...
  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
curl: (22) The requested URL returned error: 403
/usr/bin/lein: line 63: download_failed_message: command not found

Thu Aug 08 21:11:19

--
Sean A Corfield -- (904) 302-SEAN

"Perfection is the enemy of the good."