I'll repeat something I've said publicly several times (sorry if
you've previously heard it) -

My first exposure to Clojure was a Stu Halloway blog post:
http://thinkrelevance.com/blog/tags/java-next. At the time I was
writing mostly Ruby & some Java. I remember finding Clojure syntax
repulsive. Despite my gut reaction, I gave Clojure a shot for various
(not relevant to this conversation) reasons.

Fast forward to today, I find non-homoiconic languages to be
repulsive. The same feeling applies to inconsistencies - e.g. import
syntax != assignment syntax != control flow syntax ... you get the
idea.

I think it's common, and okay, for programmers to see Clojure (lisp?)
syntax and feel uncomfortable. If they can't get past that and give it
a try, that's okay as well - languages fit people in different ways,
there's no 'best' language for the masses.

This quote feels relevant: Programmers know the benefits of everything
and the tradeoffs of nothing -- Rich Hickey. Lisp syntax is one of the
oldest in our industry. Rich's selection wasn't arbitrary. If you want
to challenge it, you're going to want to know the tradeoffs very, very
well.