On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 12:18 PM, guns <s...@sungpae.com> wrote:

> Oh, I was confused; I was thinking about sentinel values in user code.
> Yes, I imagine a single private (Object.) would work just fine, with
> very little overhead.

First, I'd hope that sentinel values would be handled by the back-end
implementation, as we're seeing core.sync implemented on other
systems like ZeroMQ already.

Second, as (Object.) doesn't play nicely over the wire, a random UUID
or similar value would be much preferred.

Third, I'd recommend reviewing,
http://clojure.com/blog/2013/06/28/clojure-core-async-channels.html
to understand why core.async is not just a better queue.

Fourth, if you dislike how core.async works, just wrap it in your own
library so it works the way you'd like.
It looks like "core.async-with-nil" is available on Clojars. ;)

With nil, without nil, it's just bike shedding. Clojure gives you the
freedom to do it the way you want.