Here are some updates on my own research.

   1. This
post<http://thelibraryofcongress.s3.amazonaws.com/beagleboneled.html>is a
little over a year old, but has the type of information on the
   BeagleBone I'm looking for. It covers doing some simple I/O using Clojure.
   The author states that he's unsure what he's doing on the hardware side of
   things, but it's a start.
   2. This post <http://nakkaya.com/2011/03/15/clojure-on-the-beagleboard/>says
it's easy to get Clojure working on the Beagleboard, but is a couple
   of years old and doesn't give too much detail. I do like that the author
   does some benchmarking that could be adapted to the BeagleBone Black though.
   3. This
post<http://blog.gonzih.me/blog/2012/09/07/clojure-on-beaglebone-openjdk-vs-oracle-embedded-jre-benchmark/>is
 about a year old, and gives a benchmark comparison of OpenJDK vs
   Oracle's Embedded JRE on a BeagleBone.
   4. Videos of Kevin Downey (less than a year old) showing a robot using
   Clojure on a BeagleBone. He gives some insight into how to make using the
   Bone's I/O system in Clojure a little easier.
   1. Video 1 of 3 <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMIKfOmAMjQ>
      2. Video 2 of 3 <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPN2DFrlrYo>
      3. Video 3 of 3 <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQK9p0XV2IY>
   5. Kevin Downey's Beaglebone robot code on
Github<https://github.com/hiredman/blackbox>
   .
   6. Kevin Downey mentioned
clojure-jna<https://github.com/Chouser/clojure-jna> which
   should make working with native code (to do I/O) on the Bone a little
   easier. The clojure-jna code on GitHub is about 4 years old though, and I
   may have read something about a newer replacement on this mailing list. I
   can't remember for sure though.

That's what I've found so far. The information has some age on it and is
focused on the older BeagleBone and Beagleboard. It's good information to
get started with though I think.