I'm loading data files of about 1-2G, which are composed of a bunch of
numeric data blocks. I need to store the data blocks w/o storing
duplicates. They arrive as vectors of floats, and are stored as primitive
byte arrays.

I first tried memoizing the function that saves a block (returning an id),
with the core memoize function. This failed because every block became a
different key in the memoization, regardless of the content. It looks like
clojure treats variables referencing primitive arrays as equal only if they
refer to the same array. Note:

cavm.core=> ({[1 2 3] "foo"} [1 2 3])
"foo"
cavm.core=> ({(float-array [1 2 3]) "foo"} (float-array [1 2 3]))
nil
cavm.core=> (let [a (float-array [1 2 3])] ({a "foo"} a))
"foo"

I next tried memoizing over the vector of floats, however performance
became pathologically slow, and the process threw an OOM. I'm guessing this
is due to the memory requirements of a clojure vector of floats vs. a
primitive array of bytes holding the same data. Is there an easy way to
compare the storage requirements?

Any suggestions on how better to handle this?