Regarding your question about join: The clojure.string namespace contains
the join function recommended to you.  All functions in the clojure.string
namespace, and several other namespaces (see below for a complete list) are
part of the Clojure JAR file, and in that sense come at "no additional
charge" over and above that Clojure JAR file size.  Whether you regard that
Clojure JAR file bloated or not is your judgement call (Clojure 1.5.1 is
~3.5 Mbytes).

$ java -cp $HOME/.m2/repository/org/clojure/clojure/1.5.1/clojure-1.5.1.jar
clojure.main
user=> (use 'clojure.pprint)
nil
user=> (clojure.pprint/pprint (sort (map str (all-ns))))
("clojure.core"
 "clojure.core.protocols"
 "clojure.instant"
 "clojure.java.browse"
 "clojure.java.io"
 "clojure.java.javadoc"
 "clojure.java.shell"
 "clojure.main"
 "clojure.pprint"
 "clojure.repl"
 "clojure.string"
 "clojure.uuid"
 "clojure.walk"
 "user")
nil

If you add other libraries with their own separate JAR files, you can look
at each one to decide whether you think its size is worth it.  Many that
are written purely in Clojure tend to be source-code only, and thus quite
small.  For example, Ring + Compojure + Hiccup JAR files total about 40
Kbytes.

Andy