Hey, newish user here.

I want to make an app that finds the optimal lineup for fantasy baseball
games.

Each player is assigned a cost, the average points they earn a game, and
position. For example: Andrew McCutchen, 3.4, 4900, OF

You have to pick one catcher, one pitcher, one first basemen, one second
basemen, one shortstop, one third basemen, and three outfielders. The catch
is you also have to stay below a predetermined total cost of your team. I
want to maximize my total average points while staying under the cost limit.

My plan was to iterate through every possible combo, and swap an atom if I
find a lineup with a better total average points while staying under the
total cost limit.

My issues are:

1) This seems like an inelegant solution (brute force)

2) I don't know of a good way to handle the fact that I need to choose
three outfielders, but can't choose any one outfielder multiple times

Any advice? Thanks!