I ran a little benchmark comparing different implementations of a toy
pattern matching protocol:

https://gist.github.com/jamii/6595850

I'm surprised to find that the staged version is not significantly
slower than the compiled version. Now I'm wondering whether this is
feasible on a larger scale. Can I always rely on those fns being
inlined? Is there some magic threshold on closure nesting where
suddenly there will be inlining and I will blow up my stack?

More generally, how can I find out this sort of thing? There seems to
be very little hard information on what optimisations hotspot will
reliably perform.

This looks like it could be useful -
http://mechanical-sympathy.blogspot.co.uk/2013/06/printing-generated-assembly-code-from.html
- but I'm not sure how I would make that work with clojures class name
mangling for closures.